Panel Shop Field Technician
Post date: 3/30/18
The Panel Shop Field Technician will serve as a representative of Varitec. The goal of the Technician is to provide an exceptional “owning experience” for the end user and contractor. Install, Variable Frequency Drive (VFD)/Control Panel Start-up and commission, troubleshooting of mainly commercial HVAC electrical equipment including troubleshooting and repair issues with equipment upon arrival from the factory, during and after the warranty period.
• Call on assigned accounts and develop relationships with key personnel.
• Work as a team with the UL Panel Shop Supervisor and Manager to fulfill customer needs with courtesy in a timely manner.
• Perform control panel, VFD, install and startup of Varitec UL Panel Shop control panels and control panels by others, and equipment troubleshooting and repair as required by the project.
• Perform mechanical HVAC equipment install and repair for Varitec Equipment Sales as required
• Coordination of Varitec activities or its suppliers as well as with the mechanical, the general & often the owner.
• Interface with Varitec Aftermarket Department to support their service needs as part of their selling activities.
• Become familiar with factory personnel, product, model numbers, descriptions, etc.
• Work in Varitec UL508A Panel shop, manufacturing, testing, packaging control panels when not needed in the field
Send resume to
• High School Diploma or equivalent required.
• Minimum of two (2) years’ experience in the electrical field. UL508A control panel install/service experience is a plus.
• Ability to read wiring schematics of all kinds, i.e. ladder grams, wiring diagrams, etc. a must.
• VFD programming experience, a plus
• Troubleshooting experience with digital multi-meter, voltage testers, amp meters/probes, etc., a must.
• Ability to troubleshoot live, three phase powered equipment a must, following NEC 70E arc flash guidelines. Knowledge of proper PPE required
• Ability to work with all types of conduit and wire; EMT bending experience a must, work with rigid, flexible conduit types. THHN, MTW, multi-conductor cables, etc.
• Working knowledge of commercial HVAC machinery and their application a plus.
• Ability to recon, plan, quote assist, purchase all needed parts, etc. for field installs.
• Excellent customer service/communication skills required.
• Ability to use Windows applications primarily Word, Excel, and Outlook.
• Valid driver’s license
• A Competitive Compensation Plan
• Medical/ Dental/ Vision/Life, 401K with generous Employer Match, Vacation and paid Holidays
• Career growth opportunities
Drug testing and a suitable driving record is a condition of employment
Varitec is a Drug Free Workplace and Equal Employment Opportunity/Reasonable Accommodations Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.